Latest News

Tuesday, 6th October 2009
In Sports,

Del Potro out of Japan Open

Tennis player Juan Martin del Potro has been defeated in the first round of the Japan open.

The 21-year-old, who is the top player in his native Argentina and currently ranked as the fifth best in the word, was beaten by Edouard Roger-Vasselin of France, who is unseeded.

After the match, which Roger-Vasselin won 4-6, 4-6 in around an hour and a half, del Potro admitted to not playing his best.

"I came here very close to the competition. Maybe I needed a few more days to be in shape, but the other guy played very good tennis, he took his opportunities, he [played] a very good match," the player told AFP.

In addition to this, del Potro had been suffering from the effects of jet lag and also had an upset stomach, but he refused to blame the ailments for his performance, with the Telegraph reporting that while he said he "did not feel 100 per cent" it was not the reason for the loss.

Written by Susan Ballion

Related news stories:
Shake Shack opens branch in Tokyo (13th November 2015)
Tokyo Grand Tea Ceremony (18th September 2014)
Obon: What's it all about? (13th August 2014)
New hot springs resort opens in Tokyo (20th July 2016)